runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Monday, February 28, 2011

Single Parent Day

We have been sick for what feels like 6 weeks now. It started with a nasty cold and sinus infection and round of antibiotics that I brought home, then the girls each got a fever and ran it for several days. Those fevers moved into colds which then got their Uncle Joey sick. From there it came back to me and became an ear infection and another round of antibiotics. Then our youngest child got a bad cough and from there it has spread to my husband (who seems to avoid 90% of our ickyness) and then back to me and Uncle Joey. It has been frustrating and irritating, having kids and being sick is tough because you have to drop everything to care for your kids and somehow get through the day without biting their heads off or saying something you will later regret.

I woke up this morning and wondered briefly how my mother did it. She was a single parent and she had no support from a spouse if her head was pounding or if she was running a fever. She has to still get lunches made and get the kids to school, help with homework and wipe bottoms. I salute her today because while I feel miserable and so does my husband, we have each other and that combined misery makes us still able to get through the days and nights without our children going hungry or not having their needs met. My mum had to do it alone.

Whether by choice or not by choice, single parents have it rough. So a moment of silence in their honor please!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Thanks for the reminder...