runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Porcupine Balls


So I consider myself a vegetarian, a somewhat lackluster vegetarian but a vegetarian none-the-less. I was raised a vegetarian, a comment that raises eyebrows because people comprehend raising children to be Catholic or Baptist, but raising a child to be a vegetarian is another thing altogether. My mother belongs to a religious group that adhered to a strict health message and part of her interpretation of the religious values of this group was to raise her children vegetarian and even sometimes vegan. Personally I hated the vegan episodes but the vegetarianism is fine and I can survive very well without meat. I have a great story about how finding a turkey sandwich in the refrigerator caused my mother to burst into tears. But I digress. . . .

I say lackluster because I do eat chicken once in a blue moon and my mother-in-law makes a mean crispy bacon. And then there is seafood, which I indulge in when we eat out. But for the most part my children are vegetarian and I cook and shop like a vegetarian.

For Christmas I got a Costco membership and I fell immediately in love. All the ready to eat foods. All the pre-prepared foods. All the frozen food. All the large-volume foods. All the clothes. All the electronics. All the multi-vitamins. All the bagels. All the toilet paper.

The other day I decided to prepare a recipe my friend had told me about for my husband, and it called for ground beef - being a good vegetarian I decided that ground turkey would do just as well. So I sent my husband off to Costco to buy 20 pounds of ground turkey, at least it seemed like 20 pounds when he brought it home. And then I made these meatballs and gravy and served them to him over rice. I had to hold my breath while cooking the turkey because the smell made me nauseous.

Here is the recipe:

1 to 2 pounds of ground turkey
1/2 finely chopped onion (I used the food processor)
salt and pepper
2 eggs
2 cans mushroom soup
2 cans water (or one can water one can milk for creamier results)
oil
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
3 cups of cooked rice left in rice cooker

Here is what I did:

I formed meatballs out of the turkey, onion, salt, pepper, uncooked rice and eggs. Next I browned them in a skillet with a little oil. (this is when I tried not to breathe) Then I put them in a casserole dish and covered them with the mushroom soup/water mixture and baked them at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I served them over steamed rice and he loved them!

I am still a vegetarian but I am a porcupine ball professional.

No comments: