runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Orbeez

It is a good time to be a kid in our house. We don't spank our kids. We don't hit our kids in any way. We don't wash their mouth out with soap that has been rubbed on their toothbrushes for saying bad words or saying hateful things to each other or to other kids. We don't send them to bed without their dinners. We don't pinch their ears when we want them to pay attention or slap them across the face when they openly defy us or have meltdowns. We don't assign them chores except making their beds and taking a multivitamin each morning. And the multivitamins are gummy bears and taste great.

What we do, is, we ask that they be responsible for their actions and self realize when they've made a poor or wise decision. We ask them to make the best choice for themselves whether we support that choice or not.

My oldest daughter has been begging for these round little balls of gelatin that grow when you put them in water called Orbeez. Apparently they are all the rage in the first grade. They were selling them in the 5th grade to lower grades to raise money for the school's new computer lab but they were so popular that by the time my kid got there with the money I had given her, they were sold out. She was crushed.

This morning I went to the flea market and as we were leaving I found them for a dollar a bag. I bought 4 bags and got enough Orbeez to fill all the containers in my kitchen with Orbeez. I realize that I spoil my kids like this and I indulge them when they ask me for trendy toys like Squinkees, Zoobles and other crap that has no function whatsoever other than to end up cluttering the space under their bed until December when we will weed it out for all the new crap they get from Santa.

It is a good time to be a kid these days - at least a good time to be my kid.

No comments: