runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Snack Plate

One of the things I love the most is getting a snack for my kids after my wee ones come home from school. I'm not sure if this is something all moms love or if it is specific to me. I love running down the list of food items we have until we find one that meets with everyone's approval. Today the snack was frozen yogurt in tubes, lemon bars I made yesterday and plantain chips from the Indian market.

I remember vividly when we lived in Jamaica, we got home from school in the 5th and 6th grade by 2pm. We only had a snack at school and had our big meal of the day at 2. Sometimes we would eat stew peas with spinners and rice and have a delicious crunchy coleslaw salad. Sometimes it would be curried ackee over rice with some boiled bananas or yams. Other times it was baked beans and rice and fried plantain slices and fresh fruit. Whatever the lunch items were, we ate until we were stuffed and then played all afternoon while my grandmother rested through the heat of the day. It was a magical time of day and the smells and tastes of the food prepared by Muriel or Beverly was a huge part of that magic.

I have incorporated the foods of the Caribbean into the foods I feed my children as well as the food of Asia and I enjoy watching them grow on this healthy and filling diet. I imagine snack time will always be fun for me - especially when it is something the girls love to eat and ask for over and over again.

No comments: