runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Friday, August 19, 2011

New Doctor

Today I got to take my 4 year old in for a check up to a new doctor and a new system. I have complained loudly and repeatedly to anyone that will listen to me that my husband works for a medical hospital and yet when he went from being a resident to a staff vet at said medical hospital we had to seek cheaper health care because the one we were using we gouging us mercilessly. I have also said repeatedly and loudly that "everytime I write a check for rent or for health insurance I die a little inside" but I digress. So this morning we woke up, we got our best outfits on, shined up our faces, grabbed our new insurance cards and drove to a new Medical Center and parked the car.

There was a woman standing in the doorway that greeted me as I walked through the door. She asked me where I was headed and when I said Pediatrics she ushered me to a person who looked me up in a computer and sent us on our way. When we got to the Pediatrics Department there was no line and they did not hand me 20 pages of medical history to fill out. And the most shocking of all was there was no co-pay! NO CO-PAY!!! I don't want to incite panic in those of you that are reading this so if you really must know the name of this fantastic place, keep reading, I'm not through.

The medical assistant came and got me within 5 minutes of us checking in at the Department. She was very efficient and friendly as she took measurements, weight and blood pressure. She then took us to an examination room and told us the Doctor would be with us in a few minutes. I hunkered down, helped my little one put on the gown, got out some books and prepared for the wait.

Imagine my shock when as soon as I tied the last tie on the hospital gown, there was a knock on the door. The Doctor came in and first introduced herself to my child and shook her hand before she turned to me and introduced herself to me. I melted into the chair and then slid all over the floor.

She then charmed the pants off my 4 year old, had her laughing and smiling at the end of the visit and then gave me her email address and phone number in case I wanted to contact her personally. PERSONALLY!!! And the best part is, that we were in the car and pulling out of the parking garage by 10:34am (we got there at 10:00am).

Thank you Kaiser.




5 comments:

hscopazzi said...

Your so lucky! I had the best doctor EVER. We switched insurance, have the WORST service now. An hour wait at least.... It blows!

Christine said...

We lost our Kaiser upon moving here and this post just eggs on my extreme sadness over the loss. So glad it was a great appointment....really....even in the midst of my jealousy :).

NYBrowers said...

We LOVED Kaiser when we were in CA...imagine in addition to that lovely no co-pay for child well checks that there was never much paperwork & very efficient...now we have a horrible, VERY OVERPRICED insurance...we're switching so I'll let you know but ENJOY!!!!!

Angela said...

I have my beef with HMOs when it comes to limited options for a severe illness or injury, but I must admit that Kaiser really seems to have their act together these days. Back in the day it felt like a cattle call, but now I hear how caring the staff is, how efficient, how respectful of your time, and how they focus on preventive care and overall wellness. So glad your family is being treated like they deserve!

cheryl said...

Yay!!! So happy for you guys! I absolutely LOVE Kaiser. I've been with them for years (on and off) here and in San Diego, and I have nothing but praises to sing on their behalf. Like you said, short wait times, friendly and knowledgable care providers, no (or very low) co-pays, no deductibles (with any of the plans I've had), easy appointment scheduling and nice facilities. My highlights were the oral surgeon who gave me a CD and information on healing meditation, which I credit for cutting my recovery time to less than half the expected time, and the midwives and obstetrics department where Matthew was born: gorgeous large room with a fold-out sofa for Chris, and they brought in a magnificent (really!) dinner for us both with a small bottle of sparkling cider to celebrate. It was awesome. Can't say enough good things about KP. Glad you've had a great experience with them, too!