runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Monday, September 12, 2011

Good Will


I am not a decorator. In the past we never had money to buy nice things, using our money to buy food, pay the bills and keep us afloat until our ship came in. But now that I have a little spending money I thought it would be fun to go out and buy nice things for our house. It turns out that it is impossible because not only do I have a terrible sense of style that gets worse with each passing year but I also can't ever decide on what to get because having been poor for so long I now have no desire to spend money on something that I will end up hating a 2 weeks or have someone criticize because it doesn't match or is ugly.

I walked into the Goodwill looking for used Halloween costumes that I could either make over into something my kids will wear or that I could save money on and walked out with a heavy wooden Buddha picture that now lives in my downstairs bathroom. I almost put it back because I couldn't decide if it would look nice with all the other second hand and used stuff I own but when I saw it was only $13.99, (yes, Silicon Valley Goodwill is pricey) I decided I couldn't pass it up. I have to say that for the time being, it looks great in the bathroom.

I don't usually post bargain purchases on my blog but I wanted to pass along my Goodwill find and maybe you will find Good Will in something today, too.

No comments: