runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Yummy Yucky

I was in the car today taking my child to preschool when I stopped at a light next to this really nice brand spanking new Subaru Outback. I looked at the woman driving and was surprised to see her really digging in her nose with her pinky finger, obviously cleaning her nose. I was a little surprised and I am pretty sure I made a face but after she pulled her finger out of her nose, she proceeded to put it directly in her mouth and clean her nail off.

Let me stop this fascinating story and tell you that this woman looked to be about my age. She also was driving a brand new car. And she had a nice ring on her finger which means she was married to someone. I can't imagine she likes the taste of what comes out of her nose which prompted me to do some research to see what the World Wide Web says about nose picking and bugger eating.

It turns out that there is a medical condition called rhinotillexomania, it is habitual nose picking. This condition is seen primarily in people with OCD and I am hoping although not altogether sure that it can be treated by some kind of therapy or medication. But back to the lady in the car next to me, after she cleans her nail off in her mouth, she sticks the same finger back in the other nostril and starts rooting around. At this point she looks left and sees me staring at her and I'm sure my mouth was open. I'm not really sure what I am doing at this point, maybe my mouth was open, maybe I am about to scream, maybe I am close to tears, I am staring transfixed, and she shrugs and keeps on picking. Lucky for the both of us, the light turned green and I turned left and left her with her treats.

At preschool the other day a little girl headed around the corner to hide with what looked like a small piece of food or candy and I followed her to see what she was going to do with it. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be chalk, although she didn't seem as alarmed as I was and she was the one eating it. I told her not to eat chalk - that it wasn't good to eat but she continued to chew the piece and swallow most of it. I checked the packaging and it said it was ok to eat and the little girl was back at preschool today so I know it didn't harm her in any way.

I look after a little 2 year old sometimes and today she was on the floor next to Sally, our 9 and a half year old German Shepherd and she was licking things off the floor along with him. At one point they were both heading toward the same cat nibble and I had to pick her up because I was worried that she might make it first. She was having a fabulous time and she seemed to be enjoying the floor treats as much as she enjoyed the bowl of cereal I had just fed her earlier. She was laughing and giggling and screaming in happiness.

I guess the important thing is that it tastes good to you.

No comments: