runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Odds and Ends

I have had a hard time coming up with good stuff for my blog lately so I "Googled" the word blogs and came up with a blog that listed 10 ideas for blogs when you feel like you've hit some kind of writer's block.  They were all crap ideas so I decided to just wait until something great happened to write about.  I try not to limit what I blog about but even being wide open on what I can write about isn't helping me.

I'm trying really hard to get back to my plant based diet and fighting it violently.  This was a week of trying new things for the kids and I can't say they always enjoyed it.  We had a white bean salad with red onions, radishes and parsley which they picked the beans out of and didn't ask for seconds.  We also had a lentil salad dish with fresh celery and onions and a cumin dressing which they picked the celery out of and grimaced as they said it was delicious and refreshing.

I'm trying to ignore the chronic back pain that comes from wearing flip flops around the house but I broke down and ordered my first pair of Birkenstock's.  I found a great pair of Teva's and bought them and put them on and showed my husband.  He burst out laughing and reminded me of all the grief I put my brother Joey through when he showed up with the exact same pair of sandals about a year ago.  I promptly returned the Teva's.  I also found a brand new pair of Keen sandals at the Flea Market for $15 dollars (a steal) but couldn't bring myself to buy them because they were so hideous.  I longingly look at the shoes in my closet and wonder if they will be ornamental from here on out.

I am gearing up for having my husband home for 6 weeks from June to July as he studies for boards.  This is a big deal, the boards, something we have worked for nearly 8 years for so he has to study hard and pass.  But he will be home for the most part for 6 weeks and that is going to be interesting.  Gabe hasn't been home for more than a week here and there for the last 4 years so having him home again like he was when the girls were babies and when he was in Vet school will be different.  He has 3 girls that can't wait!

And finally, we had a chance to go to a wedding on Sunday night and see old friends and make new ones.  They had a photo booth and a table full of props.  So this is what we came up with - or at least these are the ones I am allowed to show.  I've discovered that pulling up my hair creates a natural facelift.  Makes my eyes look better and the skin around my eyes tighter.  And I've also discovered that black and white makes me look younger.  And for those of you that are wondering, Gabe had not gained a single pound in the 9 years we've been married.  Sigh.

Enjoy your May because according to the Mayan calendar, this is it.

1 comment:

thefoodinista said...

I have these birks in red patent leather—got them when I was pregnant with George and back was killing me. Mine were even mentioned in the LA Times: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/alltherage/2010/05/summer-studs.html

As an aside, I've since noticed several fashion editor friends (from Women's Wear Daily, InStyle and LA Times) all wearing this style of birk on the weekends. Get a pair!

http://www.birkenstockusa.com/products/women/sandals/Gizeh