runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mad Men

I found a knitting group at the local library.  It meets twice a month but I can only go once a month due to a yoga class I am taking.  I love this knitting group because I am one of youngest members by a long shot.  Everyone else except one other lady is in their 60's, 70's and 80's.

My friend Francoise has been talking about this show on AMC called Mad Men about an Ad agency in the 1960's and how great it is.  Finally after seeing it pop up on my tablet repeatedly as something Netflix would like me to watch, I started out with the pilot and immediately got hooked.  I am fascinated overall by how much attention is paid to the detail of the show.  The clothing, the decor, the jewelry, the shoes, the mannerisms, the sayings, the cars, the buildings, the culture, the way men treated women, the way women treated men, and much more.  I am on season 3 now and I treat myself to an episode a night - I'm savoring it and making it last.  I saw yesterday someone posted on Facebook that season 5 is now available on Netflix so I am very excited to have even more episodes to watch.



As I sat there knitting last Friday I listened to these two 80 year old women who sat across from me, Rita and Peggy.  They talked about how no one nursed their babies in the 60's and how mean the nurses were to one of them for deciding to nurse.  They talked about Postpartum depression and how it went untreated.  They talked about how easy life was when their husband died because they didn't do anything to help them anyway.  They talked about how their grandkids seem so much smarter and better than their kids because parenting has changed so much.  They talked about smoking to lose weight.  They talked about how you didn't leave home until you got married.  They talked about coming from Germany at age 8 and not telling anyone where they were from because you would get picked on.  They talked about their parents now allowing them to speak German when they came to the US because Germans were hated.  They talked about eating only meat and potatoes for dinner because that was what you did.  They talked about their fathers, uncles and brothers coming back from the war and never being the same.  They talked about being married to the same man for 45 and 50 and 55 years.  They talked about burying their husbands.

It was fascinating.  I sat and listened, yes I listened for 2 hours and knit.  And when I was through I was very grateful.  Grateful that I was born in 1968.  Grateful that they went through what they did so that I could be where I am today.  And grateful that Mad Men is only a show and not a reality anymore, at least in my country. 


1 comment:

Francoise Allamanche said...

Are you talking about me ? I started Season 5 and I am a little disappointed, it is slow and not as good as the first 4. And I am glad also I live now, I can nurse my baby and no one tells me anything. Not talking about how people with different color skin, religion, sexual interest or intellectual abilities are treated better now than in the 60's, still work to do but things change for the best hopefully...