runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ticks

There are all sorts of things that people do when they find out you will be moving, one of which is to warn you about things that you are not used to or things you won't expect.  Since the first day we got here people have warned us about the weather in summer.  It gets hot.  Not just hot but muggy and humid.  Coming from the Bay Area the idea of hot means anything over 80.  But when I say that to people they just shake their heads and repeat that we are in for a real treat this summer and every summer after for as long as we live here. 

We moved in December so it was cold.  I couldn't find enough clothes in my closet to keep me warm and all the things I would wear in the winter in California didn't seem to keep me warm here.  The cold permeated my warmest coat and I found I couldn't take it off when I came indoors because I never warmed up enough to remove a layer. 

We moved to Kingston Jamaica when I was 10 years old.  We had seen a movie someone made 100 years ago about some barefoot kids that picked oranges and I seem to recall a monkey in the film but it did nothing to prepare us.  I think they actually filmed that movie in Madagascar or The Gabon but it certainly did not paint an accurate picture of what we were in store for.  Thankfully living there was so much more awesome than any movie could prepare us for and I remember vaguely not wanting to leave when we came home 4 years later.

Sometime in February people started warning us about ticks.  They told us about how to check for them.  They told us where they like to hide.  They told us how to get rid of them.  They told us the diseases that they carry.  I'd like to think that I'm clean and I keep my kids clean but I mentally prepared myself for the pets and the kids to get them all summer long so I bought a pair of good tweezers and tried not to gross out at the thought of a parasite that sucks your blood.  For some reason that grosses me out like nothing else, ok, maybe worms gross me out too, but so far so good. 

Yesterday was the hottest day we have had so far and we are only in April.  It was 88 or something like that, a little muggy but not unbearably so, not warranting air conditioning and a nice breeze.  I was woman and pulled 2 ticks off Marcko after getting my reading glasses out to make sure I was seeing ticks and not skin blemishes.  Later as I lay reading on my bed I felt something crawling down my neck and to my horror I discovered that I had a tick crawling on me.  After the screaming leap and dance that only a spry 44 year old can pull off, I killed and then began the stripping down and frantic body check and did not rest until I had stripped the bed and made sure there were no other ticks anywhere in my bedroom.  I had a fitful night of tossing and turning and dreams about ticks.  In one dream I had like 400 ticks and the kids called me Tick Girl.

Tick season (yup, they got their own season) runs from April to November!  It is going to be a long summer.

1 comment:

Francoise Allamanche said...

Not sure we'll come and see you after reading this....
My sitter's brother has Lyme Disease and it's pretty bad, he had to fly to India to get hyperbaric chamber treatment and he got the disease in NY. I hate those useless insects.