runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Journey

It has been raining here for what feels like weeks and weeks.  Sometimes I feel like I moved to Oregon instead of N. Carolina because no one told me about the rain.  When I moved to Portland, everyone told me about the rain.

It is humid now.  We had 2 or 3 nice, sunny days with a little breeze and then it got really humid.  I don't mind it though - it reminds me of Jamaica and it makes me feel young.  For some reason the very very dry heat saps all my energy.  I won't let anyone turn on the air conditioning until it turns 90 degrees and then we will turn it on, very low.

There are a good many things that have happened since our move and there are a good many things that haven't happened.  I feel like the days of sitting around and waiting for the phone to ring are over.  Sometimes it rings and very often it doesn't and if a day goes by without it ringing I don't feel personally injured like I used to.  I have a part time job now and that keeps me busy.  I volunteer at the local elementary school and that keeps me busy.  And in 2 short weeks summer vacation will descend on us and it will keep me busy and crazy.  But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

About a month after moving I stepped on a scale and held my breath and it told me that I had lost some weight.  I wasn't even trying but I also was not in a good space.  So I started using an App that my friend always uses when she is watching what she eats called My Fitness Pal and began the task of tracking what I eat.  I was able to lose a few more pounds and then I would hit a plateau.  Now I have to back up and remind everyone that 2 years ago I started to take blood pressure medication and I lost 20-ish pounds and I got lazy and tired and put the weight back on.  I didn't do it on purpose, it was not a good feeling to pull out those fat jeans.  I felt like a loser.

Anyway, I kept using the App and it actually did what it is intended to do, it made me accountable for everything I put into my body.  I started to watch pounds come off.  And I don't mean that they flew off and I lost weight celebrity style - through coffee enemas and a liquid diet.  I'm not that crazy.  I posted recently that I had some nice fat jeans and should I keep them or toss them and here are some of the responses I got:


Lisa: Send them to me. 
Helki:  Depends on how big they are.. 1 size or a half size keep a couple
Dawn : Sell them!

Heather:  Keep in a hard to access box...
Mary-Anne: Alter.

Gina: Sadly speaking from experience. Keep.

This time around I took some pictures so I could take them out and look at them.  Nothing helps your progress with something like taking before and after pictures.  I don't have a lot of them but the ones I have I want to share.




Besides getting slimmer, you can tell I am a master photographer.  The first picture is March, the second is April and the last one is May.  I'm going to Mexico in July so don't be surprised if July/August picture involves a bathing suit.  It most likely won't be a bikini but you never know.  Tara has a topless picture of me on her fridge. 

No comments: