runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Friday, January 24, 2014

Odds and Ends


I am a reading fool.  I have been plowing through books like a mad woman and enjoying most of them.  I have also been knitting like a maniac and will soon post some pictures of some really great socks I've been working on.  Turns out that practice really does make perfect.  I used to be terrible and give gifts that were super terrible but I've gotten really good - if you are grading on a curve - and can follow most patterns unless I buy them from the UK or New Zealand.  They have interesting abbreviations in those countries that take me a really long time to translate for some reason.

I am kicking off a sugar fast today that is supposed to last for 21 days but we will see.  I already had bread for breakfast from Whole Foods.  And while it was whole grain with tons and tons of seeds in it, after I ate it I looked at the ingredients list and realized it did have 2 grams of sugar per slice.  Bummer.  3 hours in and I already screwed up.

We have had some brutally cold weather lately, it has been so cold that I've struggled to go into the garage and get on the treadmill.  Any suggestions?  I'm too vain to bring it into the house. 

As of yesterday we are no longer renters.  We are now home owners only!  I would celebrate by having a glass of wine or some champs but I can't because of the sugar fast I'm currently on.  I am going to check the sugar content of liquor because maybe I can celebrate with something else.

A friend of mine had a baby last weekend and I got to hold him and watch his little face cloud over and cry every time I held him or tried to rock him.   It was by far the smallest baby I have ever held - he was just 5 lbs but totally perfect except for not wanting me to hold him.  Only 5 lbs and already he wanted just his Mom - nature is perfection.

And finally in political news - the girls and I have posted several video clips to Google Plus so that when Obama gives his State of the Union address next week - maybe he will answer us on our questions.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about click on www.google.com and then click on Ask the President a Question.)   And as a teaser - I'm posting one of them here.  Hard to imagine someone as trendy and good looking as me as not having aged one bit right?  Don't those little girls look more like sisters and less like my kids?






No comments: