runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Monday, February 10, 2014

Interview

I have a proper job interview today.  The kind where you put on the crisp white shirt and your pressed black pants and you wear tasteful but professional earrings and not too much black eye liner and you wear the flats that are both comfortable but dressy.  No perfume but a little extra deodorant for the flashy sweats that can come in waves due to nerves that haven't been exercised in a very long time.  A little lip gloss but no lipstick because you don't want to get it on your teeth.  Not too many "You Knows" and no "Yeahs". 

I used to interview people.  I used to do it a lot.  I knew all the right questions to ask and all the wrong answers to give.  I knew what was allowed by law and what was illegal.  I loved meeting the people that wanted to work for my company and seeing what they looked like, how they brought their A game and how they failed miserably.  I knew all the right things to do and all the right things to say.  And I hired people based on whether or not they knew the right things to do or say.

But now the tables have turned.  The last time I sat in an interviewing chair was 2002 and I was fleeing a terrible job working for a crazy person and just hoping anyone would give me a job and that no one was crazy.  And now I'm looking for something that will ease me back into the working world and take me away from my 9 year Stay-At-Home-Mom stint.  It is all very exciting and exhilarating but in a totally different way that being a SAHM was exciting and exhilarating.

And I'm so happy that I got to spend 9 years with my kids - helping them grow, helping them learn and teaching them things that they will rely on throughout their entire lives.  I just wish we hadn't had chilli last night.



No comments: