runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sugar Sugar

If you read my last blog post you saw that I started a 21 day sugar fast.  That lasted 6 days and while I appreciated the efforts of the people participating to get me back on that horse, it turns out that THAT horse had already galloped away.

As a rule I don't eat a lot of sugar anyway but faced with the prospect of not being allowed to eat any sugar for 21 days and my inner reserve crumbles and crashes to the ground and disintegrates. Oh, And, I do not like being told what to do.  So, typically when that happens I do exactly what I want to do.  We can analyze the reasons why I failed at the 21 days sugar fast - after all I was a vegan for months and was a vegetarian for at least 18 years but in the end, I wasn't able to hack it and so my record is 6 days.

What it did do was renewed my efforts at watching what I eat, how much I exercise and getting through February which in my opinion now that we live on the East Coast, is the worst month ever.  Now I know why people bail and go to Florida and the Caribbean out here.  It is just to see the sun.   Our winter starts earlier and lasts longer and the entire month of January and February feel grey - and it gets oppressive.

And while I can't do anything about my tan or lack of tan, what I can do is stay in fighting shape so that when that sun starts to peek out and the weather heads back up to warmer temps I will be sundress, shorts and tank top ready.  Because lets face it, bikinis are for other girls. 

1 comment:

Francoise Allamanche said...

I could have told you that you would not hold 21 days. The human body needs sugar to work. Forget about diet or fast, enjoy life and food, it's my advice. Miss you